A toolkit designed to Support the development of leadership in primary schools
The ‘What is Good Leadership (WIGL)’ toolkit is an innovative and holistic approach to developing the essential leadership skills within a school. It has developed over 5 years, working with schools in a wide range of contexts and drawing on national and international research.
- Constructive and developmental
- Builds skills and knowledge based on clear descriptors
- Supports self evaluation and personal development
- Supports whole school evaluation and professional development planning
- Informs performance management and job descriptions
- Clearly linked to Ofsted criteria for leadership and management
- Enables a 360° view of an individual or whole school leadership team
The toolkit is designed to support the development of leadership in primary schools. It draws on a wide range of published research, national guidance, Ofsted expectations, and outstanding practice, applying this in a succinct and meaningful way. It makes the implicit qualities of school leadership explicit, enabling school leaders to identify their strengths and what they can improve. The matrix format allows the user to see a progression in the key skills of leadership so that they can plan for and evaluate improvement over time. It is positive and cumulative, building on and strengthening leadership.